All students in Year 7 to 11 are required to wear the approved Academy dress. We expect high standards of work and behaviour from our students, and believe that these are helped by high standards of dress and appearance. We expect all parents/carers to support our simple and practical requirements.
- Abbey Grange branded blazer- blazers are to be worn throughout the school day unless permission from a member of staff has been given to remove them in lessons only
- Abbey grange branded tie
- White shirt- must be long enough to be tucked in and stay tucked in
- Optional v neck mid grey pullover can be worn under the blazer
- Mid grey pleated skirt- must be knee length and with the waist band not rolled up
- Mid grey loose-fitting school trousers- no jegging style or fashion trousers- not black
- Mid grey loose-fitting school shorts- must be knee length and school trouser material- not black
- Plain black shoes (no logos, coloured soles, trainer style, canvas pumps, boots, platform soles or high heels even if sold as school shoes)
- Plain grey or navy socks or plain grey, navy or black tights (no white socks or socks above the knee)
- Summer term only: Plain light blue polo shirt- must be long enough to be tucked in and stay tucked in
Hair, jewellery and make-up:
- All natural hair colours are allowed
- Abbey Grange Academy supports the Halo Code, creating an environment welcoming all black/afro hairstyles, without a fear of judgement or reprimand
- Hair items should be plain and, in the school, colours of either navy or grey: this includes headbands, headscarves, wraps, beads, bobbles, ties, and so on
- Extremes of hairstyle are not permitted, such as having patterns and lines shaved in. School reserves the right to judge what is extreme.
- A small pair of flat ear studs (one in each ear lobe) can be worn as can a simple cross and chain. No other jewellery is allowed. No additional facial/body piercings to be worn or covered. Parents are further advised that jewellery is worn at the owner’s risk and that the school takes no responsibility for the loss of any valuable items. On the grounds of safety, however, departments reserve the right to request the removal of jewellery.
- A simple professional watch may be worn (no smart watches)
- Fashion or political badges are not to be worn in school
- A belt, if worn, must be plain grey or navy
- Discreet make-up is allowed but should be natural and subdued: no use of contouring/shimmer blushers, false eyelashes, eyeliner flicks or lipstick
- Nail polish and false nails are not allowed
- No tattoos
- Plain Light blue Polo Shirt
- Plain Navy shorts or sports leggings
- Plain Navy socks
- Falcon reversible navy multi sports top
- Trainers (as well as a pair of studded football boots for Years 7, 8 and 9)
- Students should be in correct kit at all times
- If students are injured, they are still expected to be in full kit unless a doctor’s note or a note from the parent/carer is sent. They will still take some part in the lesson although we appreciate that in some circumstances the student may be unable to change into sports clothing
- Pumps are not appropriate footwear for PE lessons. Trainers must be worn
Whilst we do not wish to be too prescriptive about outdoor clothing, we would request that students wear plain, practical coats which offer good protection in bad weather. The term ‘coat’ does not include sweatshirts, cardigan, hooded top etc. worn instead of outdoor coats. No hoodies are allowed to be worn in school.
- Outdoor coats must not be worn in class and students should not walk around school with coats zipped up and hoods up on the corridors.
- No fashion scarves (shawls) to be worn as single outdoor clothing items.
- The wearing of any denim clothing item is not acceptable.
- Caps or hoods must not be worn on the Academy site. Hats may be worn outside in inclement weather.
We would be grateful if you could reinforce these expectations with your child so they can be as successful as possible in school, and please contact the Year Manager should you have any specific questions.