PSHCE at Abbey Grange is a planned, developmental programme of learning through which students acquire the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to manage their lives now and in the future. Our PSHCE programme develops the qualities and attributes students need to thrive as individuals, family members and members of society. Students are equipped to live healthy, safe, productive and balanced lives. They are encouraged to be enterprising in making effective transitions, positive learning and career choices and in achieving economic well being. Students reflect and clarify their own values and attitudes and explore the complex and sometimes conflicting range of values and attitudes they encounter now and in the future.
Our PSHCE programme helps students to develop their confidence, resilience and self-esteem and to identify and manage risk, make informed choices and understand what influences their decisions.
There are five Drop down days throughout the year where students are off timetable and experience four different PSHCE sessions on each day.These sessions are either delivered by Abbey Grange teachers or visiting speakers such as Leeds Faith in Schools, the Police and Glyn Ellis our CareersAdviser. Students are in Abbey based mixed ability groups which they will stay in for the five PSHCE days.
Our sessions are based on the overarching concepts developed through the PSHE Association programmes of Study. These are: -
1. Identity (their personal attitudes, skills, attributes and achievements and what influences these: understanding and maintaining boundaries around their personal privacy,including online)
2. Relationships(including different types and in different settings, including online)
3. A healthy(including physically, emotionally and socially) balanced lifestyle (including within relationships, work-life,exercise and rest, spending and saving and lifestyle choices)
4. Risk (identification,assessment and how to manage risk, rather than simply the avoidance of risk forself and others) and safety(including behaviour and strategies to employing different situations,including online and in an increasingly connected world.
5. Diversity and equality (in all forms, with due regard to the protected characteristics set out in the Equality Act 2010)
6. Rights(including the notion of universal human rights), responsibilities (including fairness and justice) and consent (in different situations)
7. Change(as something to be managed) and resilience(the skills, strategies and ‘inner resources’ we can draw on when faced with challenging change or circumstance)
8. Power(how it is used and encountered in a variety of contexts including online, how it manifests through behaviours including bullying, persuasion, coercion and how it can be challenged or managed through negotiations and ‘win-win’outcomes)
9. Career(including enterprise and economic understanding. (PSHE Association 2017)
The following sessions have been planned for each year group for the five PSHCE days. The order of these may change depending on staff available and visiting speakers’ availability
Parents will be emailed with the session titles for the PSHCE Drop down day two days before to enable them to discuss topics with their son/daughter. All topics are subject to change due to staff or visitor availability but parents will be informed prior to each PSHCE day.
Study Skills (Careers)
Unifrog competencies (Careers)
Human Trafficking – Leeds Faith in Schools (Global/ Moral education)
Love not lust- outside speaker (SRE)
Personal statements with form teachers (Careers)
There are no further resources for this subject.
Interview success – Barclay Life skills (Careers)
Pornography (SRE/Personal Well being)
Online Fraud and Fake ID’s (Personal Safety/Finance)
Mindmate and Stress (Personal well being)
Unichef – cooking on a budget (Personal well being/Finance)
Car Maintenance (Safety)
Flat Packs (Personal well being)
Financial budgeting – Barclay Lifeskills (Finance)
Police talk – One life lost (Personal Safety)
Kier construction (Personal Well being)
Working/ Studying (Careers)
Finance Talk (Careers and Finance)
Solving problems and spotting opportunities - Barclays Life skills (Careers)
Pornography – outside speaker (SRE)
Using Social media effectively( to include dangers of revenge porn) (Online Safety and Careers)
Money Mules (Citizenship)
Private Study Day
PSHCE in form times throughout term.
Tel: 0113 275 7877
Fax: 0113 275 4784
Abbey Multi Academy Trust
c/o Chapter House
Abbey Grange Church of England Academy
Registered Company Number: 07705552